Monday 21 December 2009

Institutional Context

Most spoofs in today's cinema tend to be glossy Hollywood productions, with overly inflated budgets. That a small scale A level film maker couldn't even dream about achieving. Certain examples of the types of budgets used in similar films to mine are as followed.


U.S Hits



  • Scary Movie - $19,000,000
  • Naked Gun 2 1/2 - $23,000,000  
  • Epic Movie - $20,000,000
  • Meet The Spartans - $30,000,000




To name a few U.K releases

  • Hot Fuzz - $16,000,000
  • Shaun Of The Dead - $5,000,000
  • Johnny English - $45,000,000




With a minimum of $16,000,000 and a maximum of $45,000,000 from these examples, I would have to set my self at the lower end of the spectrum. If I were to aim to achieve funding. The lowest of these, Shaun of the Dead is likely to be on such a low budget as its a British production, has a lack of special effects and cgi and an un-star studded cast. However due to its vast success its predecessor Hot Fuzz was given a large budget to meet high expectations. Hence the $9,000,000 increase.

Towards the higher end, referring to Johnny English and Meet The Spartans , they will have been given such extortionate budgets due to complex action scenes, a range of locations, the use of computer generated images and special effects and in terms of Johnny English, the use of well known actors including Rowan Atkinson. 

If my idea were good enough there are several methods I could use to distribute my film, in order to gain solid funding.

If my short film were to produced on a large scale then it would most probably be distributed via one of the British film companies. To make its way onto the big screen I would first preview the screening for free at a local film festival. Most probably opting for the Leeds film festival where I would be able to gain feedback from a vast audience for a next to nothing cost. Then I would analyse the feedback and use it in a way to improve my overall production. If the film were to be momentous at the festival and I were to receive some form of recognition I would use this to publicise my project further.



I would then advertise my project towards a low budget film company such as Warp X who would perhaps allow me to produce my film for regional screenings. More or less following in the footsteps of low budget movies such as Billy Elliot, which was produced, on a very low budget yet turned over an enormous grouse profit.




As well as these methods I could use Propeller TV, which is on Sky, channel 195. It is a Chinese owned company that helps to support the short film industry, however now it is expanding into music, comedy, drama, documentaries and lifestyle. To reach out to a wider audience in the UK and through out Europe.

For more information about the company visit....http://www.propellertv.co.uk/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment